Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fences!

When I initially started reading Fences, I was not so enthused. In fact, I thought the characters and situations were incredibly clichéd. BUT, as I read on it grew on me, particularly with the introduction of Gabriel.

The characters were generally very stereotypical, (not to say that they weren’t interesting or were underdeveloped, I definitely cared and wanted to see where the play went) but Troy and Cory’s relationship (the simple father who can’t and won’t understand his son’s dreams) rubbed me the wrong way. Rose however, despite being walked all over in many respects, was a strong character. She gambled, for one, which was an interesting addition and definitely not stereotypical. As the play went on the characters got less and less stereotypical and much more complex.
Wilson does an exceptional job of revealing back- story. He doesn’t have Troy just tell it like it is. His biases towards Cory’s baseball playing and his history with Bono are revealed slowly and subtly through conversations that lead naturally to such reveals. Wilson also does this with the plot. For example, we find out that Troy went to Cory’s baseball coach and told him he couldn’t play anymore as Rose finds out, letting the audience feel the same shock and dismay that Rose would feel at that time.

Wilson also did a good job of introducing the tensions between the characters right off the bat. Immediately, despite Troy’s constant profession of love to his wife, the audience can see that he doesn’t really listen to her. He sometimes even completely ignores her. Wilson has Bono introduce the “other woman” early on, but we get easily distracted by his over the top expressions of devotion to Rose that it moves to the back of our minds until it is reintroduced later. This is a subtle and effective tactic.
Bono idolizes Troy initially so much because of what a good person he was, particularly related to his relationship with his Rose. As Troy becomes more and more the man he didn’t want to be, he loses all that he has kept dear (Bono, Rose).

I particularly liked the inclusion of song into the play and thought it was an interesting aspect. Rose’s song about fences is obviously very applicable to the play and foreboding with the lyrics “Jesus, be a fence around me every day. Jesus, I want you to protect me as I travel on my way.” Also telling that it takes Troy so long to actually build the fence and by the time he has he has already hurt her so its symbolic protection is worthless.
Troy’s song about Blue is forlorn and melancholy, also mirroring the story. Blue was “mighty true” and a “good old dog,” but Blue dies. It is as if the good man Troy had initially set out to be, in opposition to his father, died as his troubles caught up with him.
Rose ends up being the most reasonable and mature character in the family. I could definitely sense of lot of Wilson’s poetic roots, particularly in Rose’s last explanatory feminist speech in which she tells Cory that disrespecting his father isn’t going to make him a man.

I’m a little bit confused by the ending, but I like it? I like the auditory element that just moments before Cory and Raynell were singing Troy’s favorite song, then contrasted with Gabriel’s subsequent lack of music. Wilson writes it in that Gabriel in fact “howls,” like a dog, or in a wail of despair. It is eerie and ambiguous and that is always good :)

All in all, I suppose the things that worked for me were the incorporation of music and the revealing of tensions between characters right off the bat. I also appreciated the subtle inclusion of back- story. I'm looking forward to seeing it live!

4 comments:

  1. "Wilson also did a good job of introducing the tensions between the characters right off the bat"...pun intended?

    I really enjoyed Rose as well. I think I was worried at the start of the play about her character; Troy had already been painted as something of an aggressive character, and Wilson's description of Rose made it sound like she was a total pushover. I was really pleased to see that the character ended up defying the playwright's notes and became strong in the second half.

    I also liked the Blue song. It was cool how it was sung by Troy about his father, but by the end of the play it's being sung by Raynell and Cory. Good juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great point that Rose gambles -- in many ways as it happens. It's unexpected (great characterization), atypical (great characterization), and it pays off hugely throughout the play (great characterization). It's a subtler symbol than the fence and the baseball but maybe that makes it more powerful. Too, Rose's atypical characterization goes nicely with Troy's and Cory's whose characterization you claim is stereotypical, and that's in fact what makes them interesting -- the ways they fit the stereotype plus the many ways they diverge.

    Good stuff here to try -- stereotypical characters with atypical characters, revelations the audience and characters get simultaneously, music on stage (note that that does double duty as well), ambiguous ending, tension from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Rose as a character, too. In class we compared Death of a Salesman to Fences. They are similar (but very different) stories. For me, Rose was the wife that I wish was present in Death of a Salesman. She is more outspoken, stronger, and has a lot more depth. Especially in conversation with her husband. When it comes down to it, their relationship is much more complex, and much more interesting because of it.

    I love that you point out the seeds planted early and subtly. This is one of the biggest strengths of this play.

    For me, the inclusion of music seemed like it didn't really fit -- not in the way it worked within the Piano Lesson. It didn't really work for me, but I am convinced that the song Rose sings is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Wilson does an incredible job of revealing backstory without feeding it to the audience-this is certainly a skill and something hard to do, I think, without lots of micro-editing. We'll get there with practice? ...I really worry about how to do this without being cliche.
    You describe Rose as the most 'reasonable and mature' character, which I totally agree with, and she is even more than this to me. Even though Rose shows up as a secondary character most of the play, her strength shows through in every conversation she has with Troy, especially when she doesn't let him get away with things he says and when she tries to reason with him about Cory. She is so consistent and convincing, two more things that are difficult to convey just through dialogue. But Wilson does it for sure.

    ReplyDelete